Radio Merit Badge Day
Saturday January 9, 2015
The College of New Jersey
Ewing, New Jersey
Are you interested in helping people during disasters? Want to learn about satellites and high tech electronics? Want your computer to connect around the world via wireless? Think it would be cool to talk to Astronauts in space? Then explore the world of wireless communications through Radio Merit Badge!
To help Boy Scouts get the badge in one day, a Radio Merit Badge class will be held Saturday, January 9, 2016. The class is limited to the first forty Scouts who register. Adults interested in learning about radio are welcome to stay and participate!!
Date: Saturday 9 January 2016
Time: 8:45 AM to 3:00 PM
Location: Armstrong Hall, School of Engineering, The College of New Jersey, 2000 Pennington Rd, Ewing NJ 08628-0718.
- From I-95 North: Take I-95 North to exit 4 (Route 31/Pennington Road). Bear to the right off the exit ramp, you will be traveling south on Route 31. At the third traffic light (about 1.5 miles), make a left into the College entrance.
- From I-295 North (becomes I-95 South): Take I-295 North (becomes I-95 South) to exit 4 (Route 31/Pennington Road). Turn left at the exit ramp onto Pennington Road/Route 31 South toward Ewing. At the fourth traffic light (about 1.5 miles), make a left into the College entrance.
- Campus Map
- TCNJ Driving Directions
Cost: While the course is free, please consider making a voluntary $5 donation that day to help offset the costs.
Here’s what you need to do in advance:
- Register online by clicking HERE: . http://n2re.org/radiomb
- Read the 2008 or newer Radio Merit Badge pamphlet pages 1-67 and 89-91.
- Print a copy of this Radio Merit Badge Workbook.
- The workbooks are used to provide you with an optional place for you to write notes during the classes. However we do use them for those requirements that involve drawing.
- Draw the chart of the Electromagnetic Spectrum (Requirement 3 a, b, c) in the Radio Merit Badge Workbook before the class. Also, draw the block diagram of an Amateur Radio Station (5 b) and the symbols of eight electronic components (5d). That way you’ll be less rushed during the class.
On the day of the class:
- Report to Armstrong Hall by 8:45 AM on Saturday morning. If your leaders or parents aren’t staying, make sure that you are picked up at 3:00 PM.
- Bring the following to the class:
- A signed copy of the permission form.
- A fully completed Merit Badge Application card for Radio Merit Badge signed by your Scoutmaster.
- Your printed copy of the Radio Merit Badge Workbook.
- Your completed chart of the Electromagnetic Spectrum in the workbook.
- Evidence of any requirements you may have completed in advance.
- A bag lunch and drink.
- A pen and pencil.
- A notebook or clipboard to write on.
- Proper uniform, good behavior and interest!
If you have any questions about the class, please DO NOT call The College of New Jersey.
- General questions: Gary Wilson at 609-890-3370 or email email@example.com.
- Registration questions: John DeGood at 609-324-4448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org